Pollinating insects are hungry and homeless which puts many plants, including food crops, at risk! Polli:Nation makes sure the next generation are able to help by ensuring the insects are being studied and that school grounds spaces are being created for pollinators to thrive.
The biodiversity and education project is led by Learning through Landscapes (LTL), a charity dedicated to outdoor learning and play. Working with 260 primary, secondary and special schools around the UK, it has created a network of helpers for our at-risk pollinators.
Through the project, children and young people learn about the range and role of pollinating insects and how to help them. Then they conduct specially designed surveys, created by universities and environmental charities, to find out which insects live in or visit their school grounds and community spaces. The results of the project are being analysed and will help scientists understand the status of our pollinating insects throughout the UK. Working with staff, parents and local experts, children make changes to their grounds to encourage more pollinators.
Project Manager, Mary Jackson, says: "New meadows have been grown, bug hotels built, flowers and trees planted - all to support pollinating insects. Pupils have spread the message on local radio whilst others have linked up with beekeepers. Polli:Nation is helping pollinators thrive but the greatest impact is on the children and young people involved – we are creating an army of knowledgeable enthusiasts who will champion our pollinating insects for many years to come."
- Nurturing nature, campaigning for change, inspiring a generation 28,000 pupils, 260 schools - from Lands End to Joh… t.co/pIb3INnDfu
- Pollinating insects are vital 28000 children and young people help RT #NLAPolliNation for your vote @ChrisGPackham… t.co/eZ0GihmWlN
- Thank you to partners please RT for a vote #NLAPolliNation @Buzz_dont_tweet @OPALnature @FieldStudiesC… t.co/QUfHyHIIMt
- Thank you partners please RT for a vote #NLAPolliNation @Buzz_dont_tweet @OPALnature @FieldStudiesC… t.co/FxULwQkjsz
- Please support @HavenPrimarySch with this project #NLAPolliNation